Friday, October 9

Irving Penn





I was so saddened to hear of Irving Penn's death today. Penn's photography, starting with the extraordinary photos for Vogue under the leadership of another hero of mine, Alexander Liberman (daughter Francine, Alex, and wife Tatiana in top photo) and going through the celebrity portraits, the wonderful studies of everyday objects, the "portraits" of other cultures, etc, his work is exhilarating because it is so different and apart from what we expect. HIs career retrospective, Passages, has been on my must-have list for years. It's time. Looking at his pictures made me feel like I knew him and I'm sorry that he's gone but he left a brilliant body of work that will inspire me for the rest of my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad. I saw his work in my photo class with Keith Carter. Keith is a HUGE fan, and I became one.

Modern Craft said...

Wait... you studied with KEITH CARTER!? That's fantastic- I love his work. My in-laws have a large print of his I'm always trying to walk away with, but they keep noticing . . .

Welcome Home said...

It is very sad but I was happy to be reminded of his work when I found out about his death and the beauty that he left behind.

Anonymous said...

Yes, RIP, Irving. A true legend, thanks for the great photos.