Thursday, July 10

Dominic Wilcox




At ICFF this year, I saw Wilcox's War Bowl, a bowl made entirely of partially melted toy soldiers. There are two versions: the blue Battle of Waterloo (half British Artillery, half French Infantry) and the white English Civil War. From his site: "My aim was to make a material that had a voice of it's own, not just a passive lifeless thing. I started with the idea of combining small objects in order to create something larger. I arrived at the idea of using toy soldiers as my ingredients. As found objects, they seemed to represent something of a paradox. On one hand they were a fun childhood toy that brought back happy memories and on the other, they were a representation of war with it's associated horrors. This is a contrast that I find slightly uneasy." And that's why it's an interesting piece.

1 comment:

orange you lucky! said...

Dark humor decor is the best! This beats coffee table book anytime! Very cool! And funny!