Wednesday, August 22

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL




Thinking about Maira Kalman, I always think about her husband, Tibor, whose work I knew even before I’d heard of his lovely wife. I used to go look at his series of chairs in Times Square with the word EVERYBODY in huge letters above. It was arresting. His work was always innovative, unexpected, and touted a kind of remarkable “undesign.”

So I’m reminded too of my friends at YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL, an artist collective? An art movement? I’m not sure how to describe it, but it’s basically a campaign of positive messages by artists all over the world. They have perpetuated this simple message all over the world through stickers, public art projects, and circulating books. You can see their far-flung influence for yourself at their website. I’m amazed at the community of this project and its simple appeal.

No comments: